Getting Married In Australia

If you are from Overseas you are allowed to get married in Australia and the Sydney area has some of the most beautiful locations in the world. Couples coming from Overseas will need the following to be married in Australia:

A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be lodged with the legally appointed marriage celebrant at least one month prior to the wedding taking place. You can arrive on the morning of the ceremony but apart from the Jet Lag but there would be no impediment to your marriage. If you have the energy after a long flight the ceremony can take place providing all the legal paperwork is in order.

Paperwork you will need to bring with you. The documents must be originals – photocopies are not legally acceptable.

If you are born overseas you will need an overseas passport or a birth certificate translated by and official NAATI translator into English.  If you have been married before you will need decree absolute (final divorce papers) or a death certificate in English.

  • All of these papers must be bought with you on your arrival to Australia for sighting by the Celebrant. Please note that you cannot be married in Australia unless you have these original papers with you.
  • You can obtain a Notice of Intended Marriage from the Australian High Commission, Embassy or the Australian Foreign Affairs Department in your country. If required I would be happy to send it to you by email.
  • You will be presented with a marriage certificate on your wedding day and I can also help you with obtaining a copy of the Registered Certificate from the Australian Births/Deaths/Marriages.  I would suggest that you do this prior to your departure and if necessary I can assist you in having this forwarded onto you.

Start Planning Your Ceremony

Contact us for a no obligation chat about your plans for your ceremony

Contact Us Today